2014-01-03

A good teacher... /03jan14


First day of January, on New Year's day, many Japanese visit nearby shrines or  temples to make a wish of success and health for new year. It's not actually a wish but more like making a promise to God that I will do such and such and ask assistance. A time to make a determination to achieve goals!

This year, I visited Yasukuni shrines and had a real good time with friends.

I have determined to...

1. Full attendance at work.
2. Get into better shape than last year for shows and keep it till the end of season
3. This isn't really a promise to God,  but I've asked his assistance to meet more inspiring people I can learn from.

Last year, I did very well in my first show but I couldn't keep it long enough. It was really tough staying lean and cut for more than 6 months. Fortunately my first show this year is starting from July and Mis Nippon in October. I hope I can make it.

Now back to title.  

What makes a good teacher? To me, a good teacher is someone who will let you graduate someday, someone who will make you think on your own, find your own way, be on your own.

So even if he/she fails you to teach something but if you can find your way out on your own, your teacher has done amazing work!

But if you always need his/her assistance and continuously stick to him/her, there's something wrong. Please fix it ASAP!

For example, I've been working out about 3 years. First I followed suggestions but now I make my own split and my own workout routines.

There are many suggestions for workout routines but in the end, you need to have ability to build your own. 

Just like nutrition, as long as you need a coaching for recipes, you won't be successful very much.

So if a fitness coach does not teach you how to build your own workout routines, I highly doubt his/her intention. 

He/she just wants to make money from you FOREVER!

It is sometimes a good idea to look for suggestions and advice from experienced coach but don't forever count on someone else to do brain work for you.

There are plenty of books out there to help you. Grab a book, really whatever,  and get a basic idea on your own.

Here's how I started.

1. Daily cardio, almost everyday. Three day workouts per week.  Push ups, pull ups, crunches. Not much leg workout as I worked out mainly at home.

I got into decent shape with this from 70kg to 50kg.

2. 4 day gym workouts per week. No cardio. Started to prepare for shows.
Chest and biceps, shoulder and triceps, leg, back.

3. Current. 6 day gym workouts per week. No cardio. Some posing lessons.

Not much weight loss but I got really well ripped with 47kg.

My current workout split goes, shoulder day, leg day ( a lot of full squat), arm day (triceps/biceps), deadlift day, back day and chest day. 

I personally think 4 splits, chest and biceps, shoulder and triceps, leg, back with 2 full days per week is the best. You need good rests for full recovery.

Then why am I working out 6 days a week?

I am currently learning from a very inspiring coach and he never misses his work days.

Although I do not seek minute advice from him, I ask his spot for benchpress/squat/deadlift so that I do my max till failure.

And for show prep and posing, you need an expert. You must hire an expert.

Anyway, a good teacher is someone who lets you think on your own, but someone who gives you harshest advice when necessary...

But you're serious about show preparation, please hire a coach for prep readiness and posing.

Especially show readiness is really hard to tell, posting selfie photos on internet doesn't help much. 

Look for a solid advice from pros!

1 件のコメント: